Building Blocks of International Trade
International Trade Fundamentals Course
This International Trade course is intended to provide a fundamental overview of international trade compliance for both import and export transactions. This is a great way to build a foundation towards understanding what it takes to import products, ship products globally, and U.S. Customs and Border Protection requirements.
You will earn a certificate of completion and a Digital Trade Badge.
Please note: This course is NOT intended to help individuals start an import/export business. This course covers rules and practical issues that arise from importing and exporting merchandise and not the marketing, sources, purchasing, or other business functions of starting a physical business or e-commerce store.
What is a hybrid course?
A hybrid course, also known as a blended course, uses recorded materials to be viewed by students on their own time in combination with live interactive web-based online meetings with the instructor for discussions and Q&A.
How long is the course?
The Building Blocks of International Trade course will run for 4 weeks. The plan for each week is as follows:
- Participants are responsible for viewing a short video (45-90 minutes) prior to the day of the webinar of that week.
- On Thursdays at 1:30 pm Central Time, participants will attend a 2-hour live webinar with the instructor to discuss the video (Step 1) and for Q&A.
- The participant will take the exam on the topics discussed.
- Steps 1-3 will be repeated for three more weeks (for a total of four weeks).
September (Sept 5th thru Sept 28th ) Webinars on Thursdays.
- Trade Digital Badge from GTC
- 4-week Course
- Recorded videos (45-90 minutes)
- Weekly live webinar (2 hrs)
New Cohort: September 5th – 28th, 2023
Trade Expert Instructor
Building Blocks of International Trade Course Agenda
Recorded Video (own time)
Thursday 1:30 p.m. (Central Time) – Live Webinar
Exam (own time)
Week 1 – Foundation of Trade Compliance
- Logistics/Modes of Transportation
- Service Providers
- Documents for International Transaction
- Harmonized Tariff
Week 2 – Importing to the United States
- Entry of Merchandise
- Types of Entry
- Enforcement & Penalties
- Duties, taxes, & fees
Week 3 – Exporting to the United States
- Export Order Process
- Export Controls
- Reporting the Export
Week 4 – General Trade Compliance
- Free Trade Agreements
- Country of Origin
- Risk Assessment
- Getting Paid
- Contracts & Dispute Resolution